What you need to know
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said Thursday, 20 August, the US will unveil its plan to economically isolate Iran at a Monday 24 August press conference, telling allies “you are either with us or against us.”
The threat follows months of military strikes and a naval blockade that failed to force Tehran’s capitulation, marking a pivot from military to economic pressure.
Washington is already citing the UAE’s Tuesday 18 August decision to cut all economic ties with Iran as evidence the coordinated squeeze is gaining traction.
Brent crude extended its rally to a fifth straight day yesterday, trading near $94 a barrel — its highest level this month — as China emerges as the plan’s central, unresolved target.
China has already rejected the approach, with Beijing’s foreign ministry spokesman calling for diplomacy rather than sanctions.
Morning. Steve Moore here.
Bessent to Unveil Global Iran Isolation Plan Monday
Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a CNBC interview yesterday that he will hold a press conference on Monday, 24 August, to detail Washington’s plan for what he called “the greatest coordinated economic isolation in the history of the world.” The pitch to allies is blunt: “you are either with us or against us.” Neither Bessent nor President Trump, who separately threatened Iran with “an ECONOMIC D-DAY,” has specified which measures or countries the plan will target, but the language points squarely at China, the largest buyer of Iranian oil. Asked directly whether China would be targeted, Bessent demurred — “many conversations are best to have in private” — while noting Beijing would benefit from a reopened Strait of Hormuz.
The pivot matters because the alternative hasn’t worked. Months of US military strikes and a naval blockade have battered Iran’s economy and eliminated much of its top leadership without forcing surrender, and Washington is now betting that trade and financial pressure can finish what bombs haven’t. China’s response arrived within hours: foreign ministry spokesman Lin Jian said sanctions “will not help resolve the issue” and called for a diplomatic track instead, while Beijing separately dismissed Trump’s approach as unlikely to solve the crisis.
UAE’s Iran Cutoff Becomes Washington’s Proof of Concept
The UAE’s Tuesday 18 August decision to halt all trade and financial transactions with Iran is now doing double duty — it’s both a standalone rupture in a fragile bilateral relationship and, as of yesterday, Washington’s leading example of the isolation strategy already working. The UAE ranked as Iran’s top trading partner last year, ahead of China, Turkey and India, which is precisely why Tehran-based consultants have warned the move could hurt Iran’s economy more than years of US and EU sanctions. Rubio’s Tuesday call with Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed pledged coordination “to hold Iran and its terrorist proxies accountable,” alongside a reaffirmation of Hormuz freedom of navigation — diplomatic choreography that reads differently now that Bessent has folded the UAE’s move into a global template. Iran’s foreign ministry has rejected the missile attribution behind the UAE’s decision as “baseless,” a denial that looks harder to sustain given the UAE’s own confirmation of the strike’s origin.
Oil Extends Rally as Hormuz Risk Compounds the Isolation Push
Brent traded near $94 a barrel yesterday, marking a fifth consecutive daily gain and the highest level this month. The move reflects both the Bessent announcement and the underlying reality that ADNOC has sold more than 108 million barrels across eight tenders since June, at premiums as high as $10.50 a barrel over Dubai benchmark grades — pricing that reflects how long buyers expect the current squeeze to last. That squeeze has a human cost: 18 ADNOC vessels have now been struck since the war began, with one crew member killed and 20 injured, a toll that’s steadily widening the war-risk premium debate among Gulf shipping insurers.
ADNOC L&S Banks Record Quarter as Mubadala Talks Resume
ADNOC Logistics & Services confirmed its interim dividend record date fell yesterday, distributing $85.3 million (Dh313.3 million) after a record $951 million second-quarter profit, up 303% year-on-year — a rare bright number on wartime shipping economics. Separately, Bloomberg reports ADNOC and Mubadala have resumed talks on a roughly $10 billion transfer of Mubadala’s energy assets, a follow-up on the negotiations first reported earlier this week rather than a fresh development. It fits a broader reshuffling of Abu Dhabi’s sovereign architecture this month, alongside ADQ’s tender for the remaining stake in AD Ports Group and Mubadala’s own increased position in Aldar.
Bahrain Routes Diverge as Dubai Pushes India Roadshow
Etihad’s cancellations on three Bahrain rotations run through Friday, while Emirates continues daily Dubai–Bahrain service unaffected. Passengers on the grounded Etihad routes should confirm re-accommodation directly with the airline. On the ground, Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism launches its India roadshow today across Mumbai, Delhi, and Bengaluru with 30 tourism partners, while the “A Dubai Invite” scheme has already drawn 20,000 applicants since its July launch, prompting DET to triple capacity. Dubai’s tourism machine is running flat out, largely on its own track from the geopolitics next door.
Watch Today
Whether Bessent’s Monday press conference names China explicitly, or leaves the threat implicit while allies decide how seriously to take it.
Whether Brent extends beyond $94 today — a sixth straight daily gain would confirm markets are pricing sustained conflict well past the isolation announcement.
Whether Etihad extends its Bahrain cancellations past Friday, or restores the three grounded rotations.
— Steve
Steve Moore Emirates Wire · launching 9 September 2026, National Liberal Club, London emirateswire.co.uk · steve@emirateswire.co.uk
A note on how this is made: Emirates Wire is reported, written and edited by Steve Moore. AI tools help with research aggregation and early drafting, but every fact is personally verified, and every sentence is personally approved before it goes out. Questions are welcome any time at steve@emirateswire.co.uk.
If today’s read on Washington’s Iran isolation plan was worth your time, send it to a colleague or friend who’d get something out of it too.

