Trump Vows to Claim Hormuz as US Territory as Ceasefire Deadline Hits
Iran calls the claim delusion, a Bloomberg investigation reveals the covert oil trade keeping Brent under $90, and Mubadala pushes its Aldar stake past 28%
What you need to know
Trump told a Long Island rally he will “soon” declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory, saying “no ships get through unless we want them to” — Iran’s deputy foreign minister called that impossible, insisting the strait “cannot be seized by tweet, nor by aircraft carrier.”
The June ceasefire MoU’s 60-day window expires today, making Monday the next real test of whether Qatar-Pakistan mediation holds.
Hormuz traffic looks frozen on paper — just two vessels cleared Friday — but a Bloomberg investigation reveals a covert “dark shuttle” trade is moving oil at volumes exceeding 4 million barrels a day, the real reason Brent has held $80-90 instead of spiking toward $150.
Brent held above $88 into the weekend as Trump told Americans to brace for sustained pump-price pain, while Mubadala quietly lifted its Aldar stake to 28.03%.
Rhetoric hit a new register this weekend, and it happened to land on the exact day the ceasefire’s clock runs out. Trump claiming territorial control over Hormuz is a different kind of statement than “we’re enforcing a blockade” — it reframes the entire legal basis of what the US Navy has been doing since spring. Whether Monday brings a quiet mediated extension or a public rupture is now the only story that matters.
Morning. Steve Moore here.
Trump Says He’ll Declare Hormuz US Territory
President Trump told a Garden City, New York rally on Friday that “after we finish defeating Iran... pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States,” adding “we have the blockade. No ships get through unless we want them to.” Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi fired back on X that the strait “has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian... cannot be seized by tweet, nor by aircraft carrier, nor by issuing an order, nor by an election speech,” while Foreign Minister Araghchi confirmed via Shahrara News that “no negotiations have been held between us and the United States at this time.” The claim lands on the day the June ceasefire MoU’s 60-day window formally expires, and CENTCOM has now redirected more than 60 commercial vessels transiting the strait. It’s worth sitting with how odd the “territory” framing actually is — this isn’t the language of enforcement, it’s the language of annexation, and it’s not clear whether that’s a negotiating opener or a genuine shift in US posture heading into a deadline day.
Hormuz’s Ghost Lane Hides a Shuttle Trade Keeping Prices Down
The UK Maritime Trade Operations centre said Saturday it received a “verified report of a bulk carrier being struck by an unknown projectile which has hit the hull” in the Strait of Hormuz, and Kpler shipping data showed just two vessels cleared the strait on Friday with no crude visible, against a pre-war baseline north of 130 a day. But that headline freeze obscures a bigger story: a Bloomberg investigation published Sunday reveals Middle Eastern producers are running a covert “shuttle” trade through Hormuz at volumes higher than the market’s estimated 4 million barrels a day, with tankers going dark — transponders off — to ferry crude to waiting ships in the Gulf of Oman. Before the war, roughly 20 million barrels a day crossed Hormuz; last week US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said 9 million barrels a day crossed over the prior seven days, nearly half of pre-war volumes and higher than most traders expected. Around 150 ships are now anchored off Oman’s coast waiting for these transfers, up from roughly 40 in January, based on European Space Agency satellite data. ADNOC told Bloomberg it remains “determined to continue meeting our responsibility to safely deliver energy to global markets” despite the toll — 23 of its vessels have been attacked since the war began, resulting in one fatality and 20 crew injuries. Saudi Arabia has largely sat out the shuttle trade so far, but Bahri has now positioned 16 supertankers off Oman, with three more inbound, signalling Riyadh may be preparing to join as its Red Sea alternative comes under growing Houthi pressure. Bab el-Mandeb traffic is separately down 24% following that Houthi-Saudi blockade dynamic. It’s the clearest explanation yet for why Brent has held in the $80-90 band all month rather than the $150 scenario many braced for in spring — the “freeze” is real on paper, but barrels are moving anyway, just invisibly.
One Flight Back to Bahrain, Kuwait Still Fully Grounded
Emirates restored Dubai-Bahrain service from Saturday, but only flight EK839, departing Dubai at 4pm and landing 4.20pm local — sister flights EK835 and EK837 remain cancelled, and all four Emirates Dubai-Kuwait rotations stay fully suspended with no restart date. Etihad’s Abu Dhabi-Bahrain flagship EY643/644 continues operating, while three other Bahrain rotations stay grounded until at least 21 August, and the daily Abu Dhabi-Kuwait service holds its slot. For anyone flying cross-Gulf out of the UAE this week, capacity is still running at roughly a third of pre-war normal — plan connections accordingly.
Brent Holds Above $88 as Trump Tells Americans to Brace
Brent crude closed at $88.52 on Thursday, up 1.67% on the day, and traded in a $88.36-$88.82 band through the weekend, with August averaging $89.73 a barrel against July’s $83.76. The December contract sits at $84.84, keeping the curve in steep backwardation — a signal traders still expect near-term Hormuz risk to outweigh whatever happens later in the year. Trump used Friday’s rally to call Iran “very evil” and told Americans directly to prepare for sustained pump-price pain, a rare instance of a US president publicly asking voters to absorb an energy-cost hit rather than promising relief.
Dubai’s Property Market Isn’t Reading the Headlines
Dubai’s Department of Economy and Tourism has licensed 180 of 186 new real estate developers registered with the Dubai Land Department between January and mid-August — a sign the Iran-US war has barely touched the emirate’s property pipeline. Weekly transactions hit AED9.58 billion, including AED6.35 billion across 2,850 sales, and Friday’s off-plan and ready trades split almost evenly at AED1.04 billion combined, with ready property taking a narrow 52.6% edge. It’s a genuinely strange juxtaposition: a maritime war freezing two regional chokepoints simultaneously, and a domestic property market adding new developers at a record clip a few hundred kilometres away.
Mubadala Tightens Its Grip on Aldar
Mubadala’s Mamoura Diversified Global Holding lifted its Aldar Properties stake from 27.01% to 28.03% — roughly 78.6 million shares bought on the ADX between 8 May and 11 August, the fund’s second step-up this year after an earlier move from 26.26% to 27.01%. Aldar’s H1 revenue rose 8% year-on-year to AED16.8 billion, with construction on its AED100 billion Marsa Al Saadiyat waterfront project starting in Q3 and initial sales expected in H2. Separately, UAE space-tech firm Space42 signed a partnership with US defence contractor Leonardo DRS to integrate control, communications, cyber and surveillance systems into UAE sovereign security applications — another quiet reminder that Abu Dhabi’s capital and security architecture keep expanding regardless of what’s happening in the strait.
Monday’s Weather: Back to 46°C
The National Centre of Meteorology forecasts fair to partly cloudy conditions on Monday with a chance of convective cloud developing eastward by afternoon and light rainfall possible in some areas. Abu Dhabi is expected to peak at 44°C with overnight lows of 30°C, Dubai at 43°C, and some inland areas could hit 48°C; Abu Dhabi International’s own forecast flags a sharper 46°C-34°C range with winds shifting from south-easterly to north-westerly. Coastal humidity climbs overnight into Tuesday morning, bringing a fog and mist risk for early commuters.
Watch Today
Whether Monday’s ceasefire deadline produces a Qatar/Pakistan-brokered extension or a public breakdown — this is the single biggest swing factor for the Hormuz risk premium this week.
Any update from the Sudan military materiel trial at Abu Dhabi Federal Court — 13 defendants and six UAE-registered companies reached defence-pleadings completion on 12 August, so a ruling date or adjournment could land this week.
Whether the stalled ADNOC-Mubadala $10bn energy-asset talks show signs of resuming — a valuation impasse has held things up, and any restart signal would reset the sovereign-wealth narrative.
— Steve
Steve Moore
Emirates Wire · launching 9 September 2026, National Liberal Club, London
emirateswire.co.uk · steve@emirateswire.co.uk
A note on how this is made: Substack recently launched an AI-detection feature and published its policy on it, “Against Claudefishing” by CEO Chris Best. In that spirit, here’s our disclosure: Emirates Wire is reported, written and edited by Steve Moore. AI tools help with research aggregation and early drafting, but every fact is personally verified, and every sentence is personally approved before it goes out. Questions welcome any time at steve@emirateswire.co.uk.

