Trump Says No to Ceasefire Extension, Threatens to Bomb Oman
Brent breaks $91, Israel opens a new Lebanon front, and Iran quietly rearms while claiming to negotiate a Hormuz shipping map
What you need to know
Trump confirmed he will not seek an extension of the June MOU, telling reporters flatly “No” when asked — and separately threatened to “bomb the s*** out of” Oman if it “gets in the way” of US plans for Hormuz.
Brent surged to nearly $91 a barrel on Monday, up roughly 8% since last week, as markets priced in a longer war rather than any de-escalation.
Israel killed senior Hezbollah commander Abu Hassan Alaa in southern Lebanon over the weekend, with 11 people dying in the strikes — a new front opening just as the US-Iran track collapses.
The Wall Street Journal reports Iran has installed hardline veterans in key security posts and accelerated missile and drone production, using the lull to prepare for a broader confrontation rather than negotiate.
Monday didn’t just confirm the MOU’s expiry — it confirmed there’s no appetite in Washington to revive it, and added a fresh Lebanon front and a direct US threat against Oman for good measure. This is no longer a story about ambiguous diplomatic language. It’s a story about a war entering a harder, more dangerous phase on multiple fronts simultaneously.
Morning. Steve Moore here.
Trump Says No to an Extension — and Threatens to Bomb Oman
Asked directly whether he would seek an extension of the June MOU, President Trump told reporters “No.” In a separate Fox News interview, he warned that if “Oman gets in the way we’ll bomb the s*** out of them” — a threat he first made in similar terms back in May — even though Oman has no formal defence relationship with the US requiring such cooperation and is currently the only channel actually negotiating Hormuz’s future with Iran. Trump reiterated his idea of declaring the strait American territory, insisting the US retains total control, language directly at odds with Iranian officials who say they’re managing the waterway themselves. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said last week the US is preparing new economic measures against Tehran “like have never been seen.” The Oman threat is the most consequential line here — it puts Washington on a collision course not just with Iran, but with the one Gulf state actually trying to broker a workable outcome.
Brent Breaks $91 as the War Premium Compounds
Brent crude closed near $91 a barrel on Monday, up about 8% since the start of last week, as fresh concerns about escalation rippled through global energy markets. That’s a sharper move than Sunday’s data suggested and confirms the market is now pricing sustained disruption rather than any near-term resolution — Hormuz normally carries a fifth of the world’s oil and gas trade. Energy Secretary Chris Wright claimed on Fox News that the US military is “bringing out eight or nine million barrels of oil per day” from the region against “zero barrels of oil per day” in Iranian exports, a claim that, if accurate, underlines just how much of global supply is now running through a US-controlled shuttle system rather than open transit.
Iran and a Western Naval Group Are Now Proposing Rival Transit Corridors
Iran says a “shipping map” has been finalised as part of a broader governance agreement for strait traffic, according to Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghaei, though he cautioned intensive talks are continuing, and a deal won’t necessarily translate into reopening. Iran and a key Western naval group have each proposed a separate transit corridor through the strait — competing, not complementary, routes. Baghaei blamed the delay on “the obstructionist behaviour of destructive elements” and repeated that Tehran wants the US blockade removed first. Trump separately claimed backchannels with IRGC officials remain open, which a spokesman for the Guard dismissed as a “delusion,” according to state-run IRNA.
Lebanon Reopens as a Live Front
Israel’s military said it killed senior Hezbollah commander Abu Hassan Alaa in southern Lebanon over the weekend, with 11 people dying in Saturday’s strikes, which Prime Minister Netanyahu said were retaliation for an attack that seriously injured three Israeli soldiers. It’s one of several fronts flaring simultaneously — Israel has also struck Iran-backed Hamas in Gaza, Houthi forces have hit Red Sea shipping, and several vessels have taken projectile hits in Hormuz itself. Israeli settlers have separately laid siege to Palestinian homes, drawing international condemnation that Netanyahu has downplayed as the work of “a small number of radicals.” Jared Kushner is in the region this week trying to accelerate a separate Gaza ceasefire, meeting Netanyahu in Jerusalem alongside Tony Blair and Board of Peace envoy Nickolay Mladenov, after meeting Hamas chief Khalil al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday.
Iran Is Preparing for a Longer War, Not a Shorter One
The Wall Street Journal reports, citing Iranian and Arab officials, that Tehran has used the relative lull in fighting to install hardline veterans in key security posts and accelerate missile and drone production — preparation for a potentially broader confrontation rather than a negotiating posture. That reporting sits awkwardly against Iran’s public claims of active shipping-framework talks with Oman: one track suggests accommodation, the other suggests rearmament. Both are apparently true at once — a sign that Tehran may be hedging rather than committing to either track.
MBZ and Sultan Haitham Meet as Oman’s Position Gets More Dangerous
UAE President Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed received Sultan Haitham bin Tariq of Oman in Abu Dhabi on Monday for talks on economic cooperation and regional developments, hours after Iran’s confirmation that Tehran and Muscat are jointly developing a Hormuz shipping-management framework. That meeting reads very differently in light of Trump’s bombing threat against Oman hours later — Abu Dhabi may now be positioning itself close to a Gulf neighbour that’s suddenly a US target, not just a mediator. Both sides “reaffirmed their commitment to closer coordination in addressing shared challenges and supporting regional stability.”
ADNOC and Mubadala Keep Trading Regardless
ADNOC’s international arm XRG took an equal stake in Venezuela’s offshore Loran gas licence alongside BP and Qatar’s UCC, targeting a field with more than 4 trillion cubic feet of proven gas. Mubadala Capital and Trafigura, meanwhile, have received competing offers for their Porto Sudeste iron ore terminal in Brazil — one from a BlackRock/Vale/Gerdau consortium, one from I Squared Capital — valuing the port at $3-3.5 billion, down from a prior $5 billion. The wider ADNOC-Mubadala $10 billion energy-asset swap talks remain live. Abu Dhabi’s sovereign capital continues moving on entirely separate timelines from the war headlines.
A Split Verdict on UAE Ports
AD Ports Group posted Q2 net income up 88% year-on-year to AED836 million, helped by higher rates and asset sales. DP World’s H1 net income fell 39.1% to $585 million as Jebel Ali throughput collapsed 90.1% in Q2 to just 374,000 TEU, even as group revenue rose 13.1% to $12.7 billion. Same war, same country, opposite outcomes — a genuine divergence in how exposure to Hormuz disruption is being managed across UAE port operators.
Watch Today
Whether Oman responds publicly to Trump’s bombing threat — a formal statement from Muscat would be the first direct sign of how a key mediator plans to handle open hostility from Washington.
Any confirmation of Bessent’s new “unprecedented” economic measures against Iran — Treasury signalled these were coming last week; their scope will shape how isolated Tehran becomes regardless of what happens in Hormuz.
Kpler’s Monday close on Hormuz crossings — Sunday’s zero-vessel reading was already extreme; a continued freeze would confirm the corridor talks haven’t yet translated into any actual traffic.
— Steve
Steve Moore
Emirates Wire · launching 9 September 2026, National Liberal Club, London
emirateswire.co.uk · steve@emirateswire.co.uk
A note on how this is made: Substack recently launched an AI-detection feature and published its policy on it, “Against Claudefishing” by CEO Chris Best. In that spirit, here’s our disclosure: Emirates Wire is reported, written and edited by Steve Moore. AI tools help with research aggregation and early drafting, but every fact is personally verified, and every sentence is personally approved before it goes out. Questions welcome any time at steve@emirateswire.co.uk.
If today’s read on a war entering a harder phase — on four fronts at once — was worth your time, send it to a colleague or friend who’d get something out of it too.

